Guide Guidance for property owners

Show all parts of this guide

4. Your choice of recycling and waste contractor

Properties let for self-catering holidays need to either dispose of their waste by using a private licensed waste carrier / collector, or organise a chargeable waste collection from us ( known as ‘schedule 2’ collections ). Both of these options will ensure that your waste is collected by a registered waste collector.

If you choose a private licensed waste carrier/collector

If you choose to use a private licensed waste carrier/collector, you need to complete a waste transfer note for each collection. The waste collection company will provide this. Usually it will be an annual document listing all the services provided and how often the collections are made. You need to sign this and keep it for at least two years.

Check the waste carrier is registered by searching the register of waste carriers, brokers and dealers.

Don’t allow the waste carrier to dispose of your waste illegally – if this happens, you would be liable for prosecution.

If you choose East Devon District Council

If you want us to collect your property’s recycling and waste, your guests will receive the same comprehensive service as domestic properties. We will not issue a waste transfer note because your holiday let recycling and waste will be collected as part of our normal domestic collection service so isn’t required.

To sign up for East Devon District Council’s chargeable collection service you need to fill in the online Schedule 2 request form. The rest of the information in this guide describes how our service works and how your guests can make the most of it for a pleasant stay in your holiday accommodation.