Guide Gambling permits and notices

Show all parts of this guide

4. Apply for a club machine permit

Who can apply?

Under the provisions of the Gambling Act 2005 gaming activities are provided on behalf of the members of a club are treated rather differently from commercial organisations.  The reason for this is that organisations which have been formed by a group of people with a common interest and which are run for the benefit of members do not involve the public.

A club operates under a set of rules which are determined by the members.  Generally a club must have a minimum of 25 members and a period of two days must elapse from the time the application for membership is made until the full benefits of membership can be made available.  The management of the arrangements must be undertaken by a committee which is elected from within the membership. 

Please read our information about permits and our Statement of Licensing policy under the Gambling Act 2005 before you apply.

How to apply

If your premises is a members' club, miner's welfare institution or a commercial club you can apply for a club machine permit. 

You'll need to fill in an application form and send this to us. To request an application form please email  

We'll need to know:

  • your details
  • details about the premises
  • applicants must demonstrate to us and satisfy us that they meet the conditions specified in the statement of principles in our Licensing Policy.
  • whether your club is a commercial club, a members club or a miners' welfare institute - you'll need to give us proof of your club's status
  • a detailed plan of the premises.  You can find out more about this in our guidance for plans

How to renew your permit

Club machine permits fall due for renewal every ten years. You must apply to renew your permit at least six months before it expires. You will need to fill in an application form and send this to us together with any supporting documents required.


You can find out about machines in clubs in our guidance on Gambling Act 2005.

Responsible authorities

You'll need to give notice of the application to:

  • the police and
  • the Gambling Commission

You must do this within seven days of applying. You can find their contact details in our guide.


You'll be charged a fee for this application. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost.

Fast track process

If your club already holds a club premises certificate issued under the Licensing Act 2003 then you can use the fast track process for applications. 

You'll still need to:

  • complete the application form
  • pay the fee
  • give us a plan of the premises

You don't need to provide proof of your club's status or send a copy of the application to any other authorities.

Annual fee

An annual fee must be paid by the anniversary on which the permit became effective. Failure to pay on time will result in the permit being cancelled. 

Data Protection

Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of the licensing service to process your club machine permit application and administer any club machine permit which is granted.  Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions.  Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes.  Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary.  There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing.  Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant privacy notice

Start the journey

More info about the journey

You will need to pay the fee for the application.

You'll need a plan of the premises.

You'll need to send notice of the application to the police and the gambling commission (unless you're using the fast track procedure)

If you are using the fast track process you'll need to send us a copy of your club premises certificate.

When we receive your application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll telephone you if there is anything else we need.

As soon as we have the complete application and all the information we need, we'll accept it. We will then consult with the police and they'll have 28 days when they can make a representation.  

If the police don't make a representation your application will be granted and we'll send you your permit in the post.  

If a representation is received then a hearing must be heard before members of the licensing sub-committee unless all parties agree this isn't necessary.

After the hearing we'll write to you with the decision.  

Fast track process

If you have applied using the fast track process we don't need to consult with the police and your application will be automatically granted.

What you can do if you haven't heard from us

If at least 35 days have passed since you gave us your completed application and you haven't heard from us you can act as though your application is granted. 

If you are submitting your application by post then this will only apply when you can show proof of delivery from the Post Office or a recognised courier.

Time scales for processing an application do not start until all the necessary information has been received in full

Length of permit

A club machine permit will last for ten years.  You'll need to apply again at least six months before the expiry date. 

You'll need to pay an annual fee within 30 days of the permit taking effect and then each year on the anniversary of the permit.

What you can do if your application is unsuccessful

Please contact us in the first instance.


If an application for a permit is refused you can appeal.

All appeals must be made to a magistrates court within 21 days of notice of the decision:

North and East Devon Magistrates Court, Southernhay Gardens, Exeter, EX1 1UH

Tel: 01392 415300