Guide Gambling permits and notices

Show all parts of this guide

2. Apply for a family entertainment centre gaming machine permit

Please read our information about permits and our Statement of Licensing policy under the Gambling Act 2005 before you apply.

How to apply

If you want to run a family entertainment centre or amusement arcade with unlimited category D gaming machines you'll need to apply for a permit. 

You'll need to fill in an application form and send this to us. 

You'll need to give:

  • your details
  • details of the premises
  • a declaration that you occupy or propose to occupy the premises and are over 18
  • a plan of the premises

We will consult with the chief officer of police.  Applicants must demonstrate and satisfy us that you meet the conditions specified in the statement of principles in East Devon District Council’s Licensing Policy.  The permit will last for ten years.

How to renew your permit

FEC gaming machine permits fall due for renewal every ten years. You must apply to renew your permit at least six months before it expires. You will need to fill in an application form and send this to us together with any supporting documents required.


You can find out about gaming machines in unlicensed family entertainment centres in our guidance on Gambling Act 2005.


You'll be charged a fee for this application. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost.

Data Protection

Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of the licensing service to process your family entertainment centre gaming machine permit and administer any family entertainment centre gaming machine permit which is granted.  Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions.  Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes.  Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary.  There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing.  Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant privacy notice.

Start the journey

More info about the journey

You'll need to complete the application form.

You'll need to make payment of the fee.

You'll need a plan of the premises.

When we receive your application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll telephone you if there is anything else we need.

As soon as we have the complete application and all the information we need, we'll accept it.  We will then consult with the police and they will have the opportunity to make a representation.  

If the police don't make a representation your application will be granted and we'll send you your permit in the post.  

If a representation is received then a hearing must be heard before members of the licensing sub-committee unless all parties agree this isn't necessary.

After the hearing we'll write to you with the decision.  

What you can do if you haven't heard from us

If at least 35 days have passed since you gave us your completed application and you haven't heard from us you can act as though your application is granted. 

If you are submitting your application by post then this will only apply when you can show proof of delivery from the Post Office or a recognised courier.

Timescales for processing an application do not start until all the necessary information has been received in full

Length of permit

An unlicensed family entertainment centre gaming machine permit will last for 10 years. You'll need to apply to renew it at least six months before the expiry date. 

What you can do if your application is unsuccessful

Please contact us in the first instance


If an application for a permit is refused you can appeal.

All appeals must be made to a magistrates court within 21 days of notice of the decision:

North and East Devon Magistrates Court, Southernhay Gardens, Exeter, EX1 1UH

Tel: 01392 415300