Guide Gambling permits and notices

Show all parts of this guide

8. Give an occasional use notice


You’ll need an occasional use notice (OUN) if you want to allow betting on a track for up to eight days a calendar year without a premises licence.

How to apply

You need to fill in a paper version of the occasional use notice form and send it to us in the post or bring it into our office. Paper applications can be requested by emailing the team at

You'll also need to send a copy to the Police

We'll need to know:

  • your details
  • information about the premises
  • the nature, dates and times of the event
  • if there have been any previous occasional use notices at the premises


Those taking bets must hold an Operating Licence issued by the Gambling Commission. 

An occasional use notice can only be used for a maximum of eight days or less in any one calendar year in one location.


There is no fee for an occasional use notice.

Displaying your licence

You must display the occasional use notice at your premises where it can be easily seen during all times that the specified activity is taking place.

Police, council officers or gambling inspectors can ask to inspect the notice.

Length of licence

The occasional use notice will only cover the specified activity at the premises during the times and dates stated.


Further information about gambling licences and how to apply is in our guide to applying for premises licences and our statement of licensing policy for gambling.



If you have an issue with a premises that is licensed for gambling then you can tell us about this. Please telephone us or send us an email. 

Public register

You can view details of existing gambling premises licences and a list of current applications on our licensing public register.

Data Protection

Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of the licensing service to process your occasional use notice and administer any notice received.  Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions.  Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes.  Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary.  There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing.  Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant privacy notice

Start the journey

More info about the journey

You need to send the notice to us and a copy to the Police.

When we receive your notice we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll email you if there is anything else we need.

We will send you a copy of the occasional use notice back signed by us to acknowledge receipt.

What you can do if you haven't heard from us

If you haven't received a receipt back from us within 10 days please email us on to check we received your notice.

Can anyone object?

We can only object if granting the occasional use notice would mean that the premises has been used to provide betting facilities for more than eight days in a calendar year. No other objections can be considered.

Length of notice

An occasional use notice will only have effect for the times and dates stated in the notice.