Guide Gambling permits and notices

Show all parts of this guide

6. Apply for an alcohol licensed premises gaming machine permit

Please read our statement of Licensing policy under Gambling Act 2005 before you apply.

How to apply

If your premises is licensed to sell alcohol and has a bar that is used wholly or mainly for the sale or consumption of alcohol then you can apply for a permit to allow you to have more than two gaming machines.

If you only want one or two machines you can give us a notification instead.

You'll need to fill in an application form and send this to us. 

We'll need to know:

  • how many gaming machines you want and whether they are category C or D machines
  • your details (as premises licence holder)
  • details about the premises
  • a detailed plan of the premises - you can find out more about this in our guidance for plans


Notifications and permits are subject to the following conditions:

  • the machines are located on a premises which contains a bar at which alcohol is served for consumption on the premises (without a requirement that alcohol is served only with food) and
  • can only be used when the timings on the Premises Licence issued under the Licensing Act 2003 allow alcohol to be sold

Failure to comply with the following conditions could result in the revocation of the permit or the automatic entitlement:

  • all gaming machines situated on the premises must be located in a place within the premises so that their use can be supervised either by staff whose duties include such supervision (including bar or floor staff) or by other means
  • permit holders must have in place arrangements for such supervision
  • All gaming machines situated on the premises shall be located in a place that requires a customer who wishes to use any ATM made available on the premises to cease gambling at the gambling machine in order to do so.  ATM means a machine located on the premises which enables a person using it to obtain cash by use of a credit or debit card.


You'll be charged a fee for this application. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost.

Annual fee

An annual fee must be paid by the anniversary on which the permit became effective. Failure to pay on time will result in the permit being cancelled.

Data Protection

Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of the licensing service to process your alcohol licensed premises gaming machine permit application and administer any permit which is granted.  Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions.  Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes.  Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary.  There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing.  Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant privacy notice

Start the journey

More info about the journey

You'll need to complete the application form and pay the fee.

You'll need to send us a plan of the premises.

When we receive your application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll telephone you if there is anything else we need.

If your application is granted we'll send you your permit in the post.  

If we have concerns about your application we'll telephone you to discuss this and then write to you with our decision.  

What you can do if you haven't heard from us

If at least 35 days have passed since you gave us your completed application and you haven't heard from us you can act as though your application is granted. 

If you are submitting your application by post then this will only apply when you can show proof of delivery from the Post Office or a recognised courier.

Timescales for processing an application do not start until all the necessary information has been received in full

Length of permit

The length of the permit is indefinite as long as the premises licence issued under the Licensing Act 2003 is in place. 

You'll need to pay an annual fee within 30 days of the permit taking effect and then each year on the anniversary of the permit.

What you can do if your application is unsuccessful

Please contact us in the first instance.


If an application for a permit is refused you can appeal.

All appeals must be made to a magistrates court within 21 days of notice of the decision:

North and East Devon Magistrates Court, Southernhay Gardens, Exeter, EX1 1UH

Tel: 01392 415300