Please read our information about permits for gaming machines before you apply.

How to apply

If your premises is licensed to sell alcohol and has a bar that is used wholly or mainly for the sale or consumption of alcohol then you can apply for a permit to allow you to have more than two gaming machines.

If you only want one or two machines you can give us a notification instead.

You'll need to fill in an application form and send this to us. 

We'll need to know:

  • how many gaming machines you want and whether they are category C or D machines
  • your details (as premises licence holder)
  • details about the premises
  • a detailed plan of the premises - you can find out more about this in our guidance for plans


You can find out about restrictions on gaming machines in alcohol licensed premises in our guide to applying for Gambling Act licences.


You'll be charged a fee for this application. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost.

Data Protection

Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of the licensing service to process your alcohol licensed premises gaming machine permit application and administer any permit which is granted.  Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions.  Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes.  Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary.  There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing.  Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant privacy notice