Guide Benefit FAQs

Show all parts of this guide

19. Can I have any other help with my rent or Council Tax?

If you are already receiving Housing Benefit, Universal Credit Housing Costs and/or Council Tax Reduction and have a shortfall in your rent and/or Council Tax, you may be eligible for additional help from our Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) or Exceptional Hardship fund (EHF). 

The money comes from a cash limited fund so an award is normally only paid for a short period of time. 

This fund is also available to help with a deposit or rent in advance. For more information please call our Benefits Team on 01395 571770 or email  

You can apply for a DHP and EHF using either of these forms.

If you are not in receipt of Housing Benefit and require help with a deposit or rent in advance to move to a more affordable home, please contact our Housing Options Team on 01395 571660.