Guide Benefits and support information

Show all parts of this guide

2. Benefit FAQs

Popular questions about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.


  1. Am I entitled to Housing Benefit (working or pensionable age) &/or Council Tax Reduction (pensionable age only)?
  2. How do I claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction?
  3. Do you need help with your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction claim?
  4. When will I get my Housing Benefit payment?
  5. What if my Housing Benefit payment doesn't arrive?
  6. What do you mean by savings and capital?
  7. How long does it take to assess my claim or deal with my query?
  8. My circumstances have changed, what do I need to do?
  9. I’m moving house
  10. I don’t understand my letter or the calculation
  11. How have you worked out my earnings?
  12. Why have my Tax Credits changed?
  13. Can I include my childcare costs and what do I need to do?
  14. What do I do if I’m not happy with the Housing Benefit decision?
  15. Can I pay or make arrangements to pay my Housing Benefit overpayment?
  16. I live in a Council house and want to speak with someone about my rent
  17. Why is my claim suspended?
  18. I’m a student, can I claim benefit?
  19. Can I have any other help with my rent or Council Tax?
  20. Can a bank take Housing Benefit to pay my overdraft?